- Where is the hotel located? As the “Grand Dame” of downtown life for more than a century, the Capital is uniquely positioned for both the business travelers who appreciate the hotel’s proximity to important business locations and leisure guests interested in the Clinton Library, The Arts Center, The Museum of Discovery, the Rivermarket, myriad historic buildings and the Riverfront.
- How far is the hotel from the airport? Fifteen minutes.
- Does your hotel offer any children’s programs? Arrivals involving children are flagged for special attention. Likewise, children find a delightful variety of places to visit within walking distance of the hotel. Nevertheless, there are no formal children’s entertainment-type programs.
- Is there on-site dining? There are two restaurants including One Eleven at the Capital. The second is the Capital Bar & Grill. Long a favorite watering hole of local political and business leaders, a full kitchen was added during the restoration. This has allowed the culinary team to introduce a unique approach to handmade Southern “comfort food.” Background jazz entertainment is offered three or four nights per week depending upon the season.
- Is your hotel pet-friendly? Due to the Capital’s antiquity and the extent of the recent restoration, pets may not be domiciled at the hotel. Nearby kennel arrangements can be coordinated through the Concierge.
- What sets you apart from other hotels in Little Rock? As a hotel featuring 130 years of character complemented by the comfort and efficiency of a modern luxury hotel, the Capital stands apart from virtually every hotel in the U.S.
- Do you offer airport transportation? The Capital maintains an on-site automobile that is available for emergencies or special arrangements, but since cab service is both inexpensive and convenient, the hotel does not maintain a fleet.
- Is there an on-site spa? At present, the Capital does NOT provide an on-site spa. Day-spa arrangements, including transportation, are easily coordinated by the Concierge. Massage therapy appointments can also be arranged by the Concierge for individual guest rooms or at the Downtown Fitness Center across the street from the hotel.
- What are some activities to do in Little Rock? In addition to the Rivermarket and the Clinton Library, the downtown offers an astonishing array of museums and historic buildings all within walking distance. Shopping options range from boutiques to fashion malls each nearby but in different parts of town. The concierge will be happy to describe each and arrange the hotel automobile. For the more energetic, sports activities include the “basics” such as golf and tennis or more exotic options such as hiking; bicycling, hunting or even kayaking. Depending upon seasonal availability, each can be easily coordinated for a half- or full-day excursion.
- What is the Capital’s smoking policy? The Capital is an entirely smoke-free hotel.
- Just how big is the elevator? It is with an air of certainty that we are told that “Mr. Witt” was known to hold the Arkansas state legislature on board.
- How many rooms are there? 94 rooms including 15 Capital Great Rooms (semi-suites) and four suites. Handicapped-accessible rooms are available.
- How large are the rooms? Superior, 350 sq. ft.; Deluxe, 400 sq. ft.; Capital, 500 sq. ft.; Capital Great, 700 sq. ft.; Suites, 1,100 sq. ft.
- Are any of the rooms connecting? The suites can be configured as one- or two-bedroom while eight rooms are more conventionally “connected.”
- What are the views? Although the Arkansas River is visible from the top two floors on the front of the hotel, most views are of downtown Little Rock. The courtyard into which our interior rooms face is landscaped by renowned landscape architect P. Allen Smith.
- Are there sofas in the rooms/suites? There are sofas in the Capital Great rooms and Suites. They are designed for seating but not as additional bedding, however.
- Do you offer pay-per-view? No, but we do offer a variety of complimentary movie channels.
- Is there an on-site restaurant? Yes, please view the answer above.
- Is there a fitness center? Guests of the Capital are provided complimentary admission to the Downtown Fitness Center directly across Louisiana Street from the hotel. Downtown Fitness is a fully staffed health club offering an extensive array of exercise equipment and group workout activities.
- Is there a pool? Once designated as a historically protected building, it would have been impossible to compromise the hotel’s original architectural design by adding a pool.
- What are the in-room amenities? Each guest of the Capital will enjoy in-room safes, hair dryers, Frette robes and slippers, irons and boards, complimentary wireless access as well as complimentary internet hook-up. All rooms offer flat-screen televisions. Bed linens are by Chaz Stevens, bath linens by Frette and bath amenities by Molton Brown.
- How many restaurants are there? Two, please view the answer above.
- How do you make dining reservations? Either restaurant can be reached directly by phone during their hours of operation.
One Eleven: (501) 370-7011 and Capital Bar & Grill: (501) 370-7013. While reservations are recommended for One Eleven, the Capital Bar & Grill does not accept reservations. Likewise, of course, please feel free to contact the Concierge who can discuss your needs and assist in coordinating the necessary arrangements.
- Are there dress restrictions in the restaurants? There are no dress restrictions for the Capital Bar anytime or One Eleven during breakfast and lunch periods. By night, One Eleven’s respectfully restricts casual shorts, tank tops or distressed denims.
- Is breakfast included in the room rate? Bed and Breakfast Packages are available throughout the year.
- Are there any special holiday events? Special packages are designed for each holiday, generally involving a seasonal menu in One Eleven. Likewise, periodic Farm to Table dinners are held to celebrate the new harvests. Following the first full year of operation, more expansive holiday plans are underway.
View currently offered packages »
- Where is the hotel located? please view the answer above.
- Do you offer valet parking? Absolutely; the overnight fee is $19.
- Where is the nearest parking garage or parking lot? The hotel’s lot is secured but open and on the hotel property. A covered public lot is available across the street.
- What is the hotel’s fax number? (501) 370-7091
- Who is the General Manager? The Capital’s senior operations manager is Chief Operating Officer, Michael Chaffin.
- What is the dress code for hotel lobby and public areas? There are no dress codes per se, although guests are generally more comfortable in business attire or smart casual clothing.
- What is the history of the hotel? One of the country’s most historically significant hotels, the Capital opened in 1870, with President U.S. Grant staying as a guest not long thereafter. The hotel opened with indoor plumbing and heating and introduced the country’s first “magnetic annunciator” to call room service. Over the years, the Capital was regarded as the “sweet spot” for all political announcements and served as President Bill Clinton’s local headquarters during his tenure as President.
- Were the elevators designed to accommodate President Grant’s horse, Trigger? Of course not, Trigger was Roy Rogers’ horse. Grant’s was Cincinnati.
- Are there any ghosts at the Capital? Over the years, there were occasional impressions of a young girl calling in the night. Fortunately, the Capital now supplies “Monster Spray” for all visiting youngsters, and nothing more has been heard of the ghosts since.
- If the Capital had one of the first light bulbs west of the Mississippi, how did they generate the electricity? Never thought of that…
- How many meeting rooms are there? Five in strategic groupings throughout the hotel.
- How big are they? 300 to 1,900 sq. ft. for a total of 6,400 sq. ft., not including pre-function areas.
- What are the Audio-Visual capabilities of the meeting rooms? Each room offers a drop-down screen and 4000 lumen Data/Video scissor-drop projector (the Ballroom actually has two). The system is fully integrated allowing simulcast throughout the property as well as creative projection options. Actually, we were so impressed with our audio-visual design and installation that we hired the architect of the plan as a full time audio-visual manager.
- Do you offer high-speed Internet? Complimentary wireless and high-speed internet connections are available throughout the hotel.
- Are business services available? Complimentary computers and printers are available off the lobby. The Concierge will happily make arrangements for more sophisticated business services.